Baking is a key part of getting ready for a retreat here at Viveka Gardens, and Anna did an amazing job of the double combo of firm favourite chocolate cake that has the VG signature blackcurrant jam in it, this time made as cupcakes and new recipe, lemon shortbread. A plant-based shortbread, and lemon-y too. One lemon could be enough but two makes the point better. Needless to say this all went down very well, #yummas. Anna was here for two weeks for work exchange, lovely to have her here. Click on the link for more info.
I’ve put in amounts for using the full 200g block that Naturli comes in. You can always halve this to make 15.
Ingredients (makes 30)
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g non-dairy butter, at room temperature Naturli is great, a mix of shea, coconut, rapeseed and almond oils, and supermarket available
- 290g plain flour
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 or 2 lemons, zest only, finely grated it’s up to you
- Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the non-dairy butter and the sugar until light and fluffy
- Add the salt, zest and sieve in the flour. Stir with a spatula until the mixture starts to form a ball of dough. Be careful to mix only just as much as you need to. This helps the shortbread to have a crumbly texture, once cooked. Place the ball in a bowl, cover with a plate and chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5, 375°F)
- When the pastry has rested, place in on a floured surface and roll out to approx 0.5cm thick. Cut into rounds with a cookie cutter or rim of a glass
- Transfer the biscuits onto the greaseproof lined tray. Sprinkle the tops lightly with caster sugar and bake in the oven for around 12 minutes, taking care they don’t brown too much. They should be pale golden at the edges
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and store in an air tight tin for up to 3 days (you’ll be lucky)