Previously a secret only revealed to people attending the vegan cooking workshop here, this is a tangy chutney that helps out in an apple glut and can be frozen. It complements dhal really nicely. Oooh, that’s nice is a typical response. And here’s how you make it.
Here featured in autumn with golden dhal, roast parsnips and salad of radicchio with pomegranate molasses dressing.
Ingredients makes a cereal bowlful
- 3 medium sized apples – small chunks
- 2 tbsps oil
- A thumb of grated ginger
- About 5 cm cinnamon pieces
- 1 star anise
- Pinch of chili flakes
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsps water
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon
- Heat the oil towards smoking and drop in the woody spices, stirring for about 30 seconds, then the turmeric quickly followed by the apple.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes then add the water, put on the lid until pieces cook
- Take out the woody spices. Add the sugar and mash up; let it thicken. Turn off heat and add lemon juice.